Saturday, May 14, 2016

Instruction to Wisdom – Listen!

J.J. Stark
May 8-9, 2016
Field Time: Browning, MT
IGNITE CLASS 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Instruction to Wisdom – Listen!
“Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.” – Proverbs 8:33 (*All in KJV)

In meditating on Proverbs 8:33, the Lord has led me on an incredible discovery path of wisdom through the Psalms and Proverbs, bringing to my attention many new and familiar verses from Kings David and Solomon, the men whom He bestowed to one His heart, and the other heavenly wisdom.  Throughout this journey, Proverbs 8:33 becomes as a living prayer, as well as a command to my life.  Let this be a written testimony of our undeniable, living, Omnipotent, Omnipresent Master, the Lord Jesus Christ, whose Holy Spirit continually ministers to us.
It can’t be more plainly stated – Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.  This cultivates in me a desire to glimpse this instruction manifested wisely in a man’s life; my ponderings parallel similarly Proverbs 1:2-7.  “2To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; 3To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity…” 
Great and Heavenly Father above, I ask in humble reverence for this “4…young man knowledge and discretion.”  Grow me into “5a wise man ‘who’ will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding, ‘that’ shall attain unto wise counsels.”  God Almighty, ingrain in my soul how “7The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.”  Keep them from me, “… fools ‘who’ despise wisdom and instruction.
If I may be so bold, let me question the significance of wisdom, that the powerful Creator of the universe would speak so loftily of it to man?
In the passages surrounding the verse of topic, wisdom herself answers:

22The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
23I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was…
30Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight rejoicing always before him; 31Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were the sons of men.
 32Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children, for blessed are they that keep my ways.
33Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not.
 34Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.
35For whoso findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord.”
– Proverbs 8:22-23, 30-35

I find myself asking Psalm 119:9 – “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?”  According to fleshly wisdom, it would remain to this day un-answerable.  Yet thru the wonderful grace of the loving Father above, He gives the man truly seeking Him the understanding, repeating Christ’s statement in Matthew 19:26 – “...With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.”  Because David’s heart was in pure worship, God granted him understanding to his own question, answering, “By taking heed thereto according to thy word.”
What, then, does thy word say, O Lord, that I must taketh heed of? What is the instruction on the path to wisdom??

-         Proverbs 3:5-7, “5Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.  7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.”

-         Proverbs 3:11-12, “11My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction: 12For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.”

-         Proverbs 4:5-7,5Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.  6Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.  7Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.”

Let this be my application, O God, that I listen, immerse, and be cleansed in these holy and perfect words given me, so that I can come before Your awesome, majestic throne and say:

10With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.  11Thy word have I hidden in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.  12Blessed art thou, O Lord: teach me thy statutes.  13With my lips have I declared all the judgements of thy mouth.  14I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.  15I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.  16I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.” – Psalm 119:10-16

No comments:

Post a Comment