Monday, June 6, 2016

He Gave

J.J. Stark
June 5, 2016
Field Time: Browning, MT
IGNITE CLASS 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)
He Gave
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” – John 3:16 (NKJV)

John 3:16 is perhaps one of the most well-known verses in the Bible, and many people today can quote it off-hand, Christians and non-Christians alike.  I wonder though how many people actually realize its weighty meaning.  I for one have known this verse by heart for years, but until now, I haven’t truly taken it to heart.  What strikes me is the phrase “He gave.”  Although I know its general meaning, I have been pondering the word give, and in the Merriam-Webster dictionary one definition says it means, “to make a present of.”  John 3:16 states that God the Father out of pure love did just that, “…He gave His only begotten Son…”, even though we as the human race, who the Lord God gave in His own image, have disobediently sinned and fallen away from Him innumerable times. God gave the present of His very being, manifested in His Son Jesus Christ, even though we are so far lost and undeserving of the bestowment.  John 3:17 says, “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.”  Jesus, through divine incarnation, entered the world, lead the perfect fulfilling life that no other could, to lovingly give His life and become the redeeming sacrifice for all of creation; yes, even me.  In John 14:26 after His resurrection while He was still on earth, He gave all believers the Holy Spirit: “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.”  Today, the Holy Spirt continues to be that help, constantly giving comfort, assurance, and peace to those who diligently seek Christ’s will.  As a servant of Christ, I am called to imitate Him as my Master, obeying His instructions.  In Matthew 16:24-25 the Lord states:  24…If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.  25For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”  This leads me to ask: Do I give?  He gave His very life in self-denial.  In a heroic mindset I’d like to say I would give my life to save a family member, close friend, or even the children attending Kids Club, but on the flip side would I for some stranger off the street? Or better yet, would I give my life for someone who offended or hurt me?  That is a hard reality, and if I am honest my flesh says no.  However, the truth is this: Christ has already died for the entire world.  What good is it going to do if I die for someone physically, yet I don’t be witness to them of the Savior?  They themselves are already spiritually dying, so instead of a “hero” mindset giving my life, I need keep the perspective of giving everlasting life.  By dying to myself, and giving over to the will that Christ has for my life, I become platform in which He displays to those around me “…God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.


Application:  I will strive to meet with the Lord one on one more regularly, that He may give me direct me in the witnessing appointments He places in my life.

1 comment: