Saturday, April 9, 2016

Forgetting Behind, Reaching Forward

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 10
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study – (IBS)

Forgetting Behind, Reaching Forward
12Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.  13Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…” – Philippians 3:12-13 (NKJV)

God is…God.  And I am not, no matter what I may think or try to do.  Thank You, precious Lord, for giving me Your holy and infallible word.  Thank You, Awesome Creator, for creating me and all other mankind, that we can worship and praise You.  It puts me in a true state of wonder, ultimate Author and Finisher of all things, that You would then think of us so highly, even with our failures, as to entrust and us to write down and record Your Word – the Breath of Life. 

By saying “12Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected…” the apostle Paul is referring to attainment of the resurrection mentioned in the text prior to these verses.  I appreciate his humility seen in his writing, keeping the proper perspective by recognizing his humanity and that he still is fallible (fleshly) without Christ.  So often I act as if I have attained something, but it is a false attainment – something made of my own.  However, Paul goes on to correct this mindset that I frequently entertain, saying: “but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me...forgetting those things those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…”  This is the very essence of the Christianity, laying down everything of myself – turning away from the ungodliness I used to be because Christ has a grip on me – and then strive to take that same grip and reliance on Him, calling on Him for every breath I take. Paul finishes out the thought with verse 14 as a final statement: “I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.


Application: Today I will write down a list of things that are constant weights or distractions, and then take action to correct them.

No comments:

Post a Comment