Saturday, April 9, 2016

Profit a Little, or Profit for All

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 11
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study – (IBS)

Profit a Little, or Profit for All

For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.” – 1 Timothy 4:8 (NKJV)

I have never really been huge into athletics.  Now before I go any further, I must clarify – I have participated in athletics and played sports, as well as several other activities.  These have been excellent parts of my life and I have enjoyed them, but what was meant in my original statement is that “bodily exercise,” as mentioned at the beginning of the verse, has never been my greatest priority.  Now I love being active and love doing things, but I have never really liked the idea of exercising for the sake of getting “built/ripped,” as much of the American society become very focused on.  I will exercise some to stay fit, as a way to take care of my body like God instructs in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – “19Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  20For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”  1 Timothy 4:8 really is a thought provoking verse, comparing earthly exercise to godliness, or the exercise of faith.  Paul is saying to Timothy here that yes bodily exercise is good, and sometimes needed, only “profits a little,” because the body is still eventually going to deteriorate.  Colossians 2:23 deals with this topic: “These things have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

I know in the past I have dealt with this same thing, such as making a big play in the middle of a soccer game and getting compliments from those around me, and receiving it in a manner of false humility – saying it was nothing or something to that effect.  Now, on the other side of this coin, there is godliness which is “profitable for all things!”  This occurs not just following Christ, but by earnestly chasing after Him, using the same kind of discipline in seeking His Spirit as if it were for an athletic competition here on earth.  To paraphrase Hebrew 12:1-2, I am to “…lay aside every weight and sin that so easily ensnares, and run with endurance the race that is set before ‘me,’ looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of ‘my’ faith…”  What is so amazing about this is that it is tried, tested, and true – confirmed by 1 Timothy 4:9 – “This is a faithful saying and worthy of acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment