Sunday, March 13, 2016

Gain Your Brother

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 9
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study – (IBS)

Gain Your Brother
Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.  If he hears you, you have gained your brother.” – Matthew 18:15

Brothers…gotta love ‘em...

Growing up as the oldest of four boys, I have definitely had my fair share of fights and quarrels with them, and also witnessed many more contentions between them.  Needless to say, Matthew 18:15 is a verse that is very much alive in my life.  It also hits me in an area of my life that I am still very much weak in: anger with my brothers.  Anyone with brothers can identify with this in some way, as brothers can always somehow find those certain buttons of aggravation.  That being said, it must also be brought to light that for me, it wasn’t very hard for my brothers to get at my buttons because the littlest things used to set me off.  I love my brothers to death, but I won’t deny that they also were/are very good at pushing my buttons if they so desire!!  With that taken into consideration, the first sentence of Matthew 18:15 – “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone,” has been a tremendous struggle for me in the past.  The whole “go and tell him his fault between you and him alone” thing was something that I very rarely did correctly.  If there was any sort of fault, you could bet your bottom dollar I’d be the first one to make a commotion about it, it didn’t matter whether it was publicly or privately.  It shames me to say that most times it wasn’t even an issue worth being discussed, let alone flying of the handle about.  I am a prime example of Proverbs 15:1 – “A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger,” and Proverbs 14:29 – “He who is slow to wrath has great understanding, but he who is impulsive exalts folly.”  Often I would answer some smart remark from them impulsively with a harsh reply that would stir up piles of anger, and make myself look very foolish in the end.  This brings to life Proverbs 18:19 “A brother offended is harder to win than a strong city, and contentions are like the bars of a castle.”  I have been on both sides of this road, though it usually has been on the side of offending rather than offended, unfortunately.  This verse is so true, speaking from the times I have been offended by something my brothers have done, it is so easy to pack a grudge for any amount of time.  That grudge can sit there and fester and become like an infected sore, which takes time to heal.  But if resolved or taken care of quickly, in the love of Christ, that sore heals faster, rebuilding the relationship quicker.  Proverbs 17:17 “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”  This is something I know the Lord has been changing in my life.  It is interesting that when you step away from someone for a while that you begin to realize the qualities of that person.  During my time here at IGNITE God has peeled off any contradictory feelings or thoughts about my brothers, and He has cultivated a genuine kind of love for my brothers that I haven’t had before.  For them, I not only need to be a friend that loves at all times, but a brother that loves at all times, so that I can be a brother for adversity.

Applications:
1.       Today, I will visit with two of my Christian brothers about their lives, and how I can support them in any way possible.

2.       Next time I have phone access, I will call and visit with my brothers at home and ask for their forgiveness on past quarrels we have been in.

1 comment: