Sunday, March 13, 2016

Walk in the Light

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 9
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Walk in the Light
5This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.  6If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do no practice the truth.  7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.” – 1 John 1:5-7 (NKJV)
It’s funny how sometimes when you read a something in some book and it feels like the author is standing right in front of you, talking right to you as if you are the only one in the world receiving what he is saying.  After going through this passage this is exactly the feeling I got; I feel like I’m standing in front of the apostle John, and he is speaking to me face to face.  This, obviously, was the command that Jesus gave His personal disciples in Matthew 28:19-20, saying “19Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”  The Lord uses John to do just that in 1 John 1:5, penning a message that not only taught that generation, but all generations since – “This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.”  Praise Him that He is Lord, and the Light of the world!!  By being in fellowship with Him in the Light, I am also able to fellowship in a closer, more meaningful manner in the relationships that I have.  Christ lived every aspect of what He taught during His walk here on earth, one of those teachings being, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16) Jesus Christ’s example is mine to follow, living the life the He has given me as one not of my own, but His, and by being in constant fellowship and communion with the Lord, I am then His tool to use in bringing light to the darkness.

Application:  This evening I will share with my roommates something that I read in my devotions, and discuss what they think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment