Sunday, March 13, 2016

Vigilance

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 8
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Vigilance
37Blessed are those servants whom the master, when he comes, will find watching.  Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them.  38And if he should come in the second watch, or come in the third watch, and find them so, blessed are those servants.  39But know this, that if the master of the house had known the hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. 40Therefore, you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.” – Luke 12:37-40 (NKJV)
Being vigilant…one of the biggest struggles I battle every day in my walk with Christ.  Vigilant, as defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary means “alertly watchful, especially to avoid danger.”   As much as I dislike admitting it, I am constantly running into danger – be it physically, mentally, or spiritually.  Most of the time it is distractions in the earthly realm that become my primary focus and I find myself neglecting my communication with Christ.  On my own I knew this is not a good thing, but after reading through Luke 12:37-40, the Lord gave me a wake-up call about it.  This passage proved to be very good tool for self-evaluation, as showed the danger that I am not as in love with Christ as I thought I was…in other words not fully devoted.  A true servant is one that is not only loyal to his master, but one that also loves his master, and, as this passage in Luke indicates, does not cease watching for his master’s safe return.  This really humbles me because it unearthed the lack of love I still have for Christ.  Am I constantly looking for Christ’s return?  No…
This also brought to mind a passage that a family friend shared with me a while back – Ezekiel 33:2-7  “2Son of man, speak to the children of your people, and say to them: ‘When I bring the sword upon a land, and the people the people of the land take a man from their territory and make him their watchmen, 3when he sees the sword coming upon the land, if he blows the trumpet and warns the people, 4then whoever hears the sound of the trumpet and does not take warning, if the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be on his own head.  5He heard the sound of the trumpet, but did not take warning; his blood shall be upon himself.  But he who takes warning will save his life.  6But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person form among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman’s hand.  7So you, son of man: I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore you shall hear a word from My mouth and warn them for Me.
Again, alertness is vital.  Christ is always there and ready to help me, but I have to meet Him part way and daily surrender my life and continue to chase further after His presence and majesty.


Application: Today I will find a passage on Christ’s return and share it with my roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment