Sunday, March 13, 2016

With the Humble

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 9
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

With the Humble
Be of the same mind toward one another.  Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble.  Do not be wise in your own opinion.” – Romans 12:16
I love the apostle Paul.  I very much wish I could have met him, because from his writings he seems to have been a man who not only believed and walked very closely with God, but also a man who believed in a straightforward message - Short, simple, and to the point.  I think I could take some lessons from him on keeping a message concise a message.  As I stepped back and get more of the context for this IBS, the Lord spoke to me a great deal through Romans 12:9-18, and turned into a prayer I need for my life.  Lord Jesus Christ, here I am, take me, teach me, break and remake me into a vessel for Your glory. 
God, let my love be without hypocrisy, that I would abhor what is evil, and cling to what is good.  Help me to be kindly affectionate to others with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to another, not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving You, the Lord.  I want to rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer, distribute to the needs of the saints, and be given to hospitality.  Heavenly, All-Mighty Father, I ask for self-control to bless those who persecute me; bless and not curse.  Let me rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.  Jesus I need to be of the same mind towards others, not setting my mind on high things, but associate with the humble.  God I beg that I would not be wise in my own opinion.  Help me pay no one evil for evil and have good regard for good things in the sight of all men.  In Your name for all possible, as much as depends on me, that I would live peaceably with all men.
Once again the words of David come from my heart:
Psalm 119:9-16 – “How can a young man cleanse his way?  By taking heed according to Your word.  10With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!  11Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.  12Blessed are You, O Lord!  Teach me Your statutes.  13With my lips I have all the judgment of Your mouth.  14I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies, as much as in all riches.  15I will meditate on Your precepts, and contemplate Your ways.  16I will delight myself in Your Statutes; I will not forget Your word.

Application:  Today I will ask my roommates to tell me three things in my life that they see that I am often “wise in my own opinion” about and then find a verse for each of those as an antidote. 

No comments:

Post a Comment