Saturday, March 5, 2016

We Are Unprofitable Servants

J.J. Stark
March 2016
Week 8
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

We Are Unprofitable Servants
7And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’? 8But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’? 9Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded of him? I think not.  10So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants.  We have done what was our duty to do.’” ­ – Luke 17:7-10 (NKJV)
Putting others before yourself is one of the hardest things to do.  Ever since the sinful of Adam and Eve, it our nature has become very self-centered, and learning to be considerate and serve others with genuine Godly love is something that has become opposite our nature. For me personally this has been something I have had to work on a lot.  This was much more of a problem when I was younger, as I wasn’t really one to go out of my way to help someone, especially if it was a family member.  Thankfully though, my parents were very good about instructing me in that, not just by telling me how, why, and when to do it, but also by living what they spoke.  I learned a lot by watching and listening to them in how they operated in the household and in public.  Numerous examples come to mind of my dad being that servant, where he would many times come home from a long stressful day at work, and then help get the dinner on the table, making sure we boys and mom had our food first before he’d eat.  Then to top it off, after dinner he is always the first one to be outside finishing any chores or projects that need done.  My mother is very much the same way.  I’m fortunate to have seen this example of a servant’s attitude from Luke 17 brought to life through both of my parents.

Application: Today I will strive to be the first to change out all the water jugs when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment