Saturday, February 13, 2016

A Soldier’s Wages

J.J. Stark
February 2016
Week 5
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

A Soldier’s Wages
14Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?”  So he said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.” – Luke 3:14 (NKJV)
Luke chapter 3 ushers in the beginning of John the Baptist’s ministry before Jesus really comes on the seen in the gospel.  The text leading up to verse 14 reveals that John had a powerful impact on people during his short period of ministry, and it was drawing in not only the common folk of the day, but also people like the tax collectors and soldiers.  I find it interesting that the Lord used John to speak to the soldiers in particular, because normally soldiers either wouldn’t really interact with the public like this, or they mostly wouldn’t be interested; they focused on doing their job.  The fact that the soldiers were curious and asking about the faith and what their actions should be, attests to the movement of the Holy Spirit.  John’s reply to them spoke to me from the perspective of being a soldier for Christ.  I can ask the same question as they did, “And what shall ‘I’ do?” and the answer can be the same.  The first one – do not intimidate anyone; I often get puffed up with pride that I’m a Christian, going around judging people for their sins.  I elevate myself above others, which intimidates and pushes them away from the faith…not a good thing!!  Jesus didn’t even do that when He was here on earth, but humbled Himself and met the people at their level, loving them for who they were (Philippians 2:7).  Secondly – not falsely accusing.  Oh boy…this is a tough one for me; so many times I am ready to jump to conclusions without first getting all the details, and I wind up blaming and judging someone for something they didn’t do.  God is the One Judge, and I am only to be a vessel for Him to use as He sees fit.  The last one – be content with your wages – is incredibly powerful.  The Lord never said that being His soldier would be easy, or that physical payment/wages were in the picture.  As His soldier, I am to be content and trust in His provision, and that the battles that I’m stationed in are ultimately for the betterment of God’s kingdom.

Application:  Today, I will be quick to listen and not to judge (or accuse) others of their thoughts or actions.  I will also be diligent with the tasks that are set before me now, and not back off until the job is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment