Saturday, February 13, 2016

Unceasing Prayer

J.J. Stark
February 2016
Week 4
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Unceasing Prayer
“For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;” - Colossians 1:9

“For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you…” As Paul and Timothy were writing this to the fellow believers in Colossi, they were rejoicing that to hear that they continued in their faith and loved all the saints. (Colossians 1:4) Paul and Timothy also wanted to encourage them to continue in that as the true battle is not here on earth, as Paul say - “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12) Because the actual battle is out of our realm, the phrase in Colossians 1:9 “do not cease to pray…” took on a whole new depth of meaning to me as I realized that there is also a sense of earnesty in that statement when viewed with the Ephesians perspective.  The devil is always on the prowl to do damage in whatever way he can, and will stop at nothing to bring Christians down, be it mental, spiritual, or physical.  I had to ask myself how many times has someone asked me to pray for them, and I’ve maybe prayed once, but then ceased?  Unfortunately, I can’t even number them.  However, this made me appreciate even more that no matter how many times I have been unfaithful here on earth with those around me, God is still God and He is faithful in His mercy, grace, and love for me.  He is also “My lovingkindness, and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge…” (Psalm 144:2a) That being said, God is the only one who can fight my battles and those of others, but only if I allow and ask Him through prayer, believing with faith. (Matthew 21:21-22) Paul counted it a joy to pray for those walking in faith, and asked for God to fill each and every one of them “with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.”  This is the challenge for me.

Application:  Today I will pray for each of my individual fellow interns – that God will fill them all “with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment