Saturday, February 13, 2016

Faith and Patience Inherit the Promises

J.J. Stark
February 2016
Week 4
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Faith and Patience Inherit the Promises
“That you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” – Hebrews 6:12 (NKJV)
I am lazy.  I’ll be flat out honest.  It seems like it doesn’t matter what it may be, I kind of like to go at my own pace – usually that of which is the most comfortable or convenient for me and where I’m not over-exerting myself.  It’s ironic that this particular verse comes up at this time, as it correlates with the topic of “comfort” in the Christian faith has been a main theme in studies lately.  Must mean the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me something!!  The author of Hebrews commends his readers starting in Hebrews 6:9, first praising their faithful walks in Christ and assuring that God will not abandon them in their committed ministry to needs of the people through Him.  However, verse 11 then warns and encourages them to not slack off in their work, but for each individual to continue to display “the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end.”  Wow, how many times have I pushed through to the end??  Not enough times, I am ashamed to say.  Yes, I can be a hard worker, but that’s usually only in the physical realm where I’m operating in my own strength.  How often am I diligent in the spiritual realm?  Am I imitating “those who through faith and patience inherit the promises,” such as Abraham (referred to in verse 13), Isaac, Jacob, Moses, or Joshua?  These men all had great faith, and each one in the end did inherit the eternal promise.

Application: Tonight I will read the faith profiles in Hebrews 11, and write down in my journal 3 common characteristics of these people, and then practice those characteristics tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment