Saturday, February 13, 2016

Ask of God

J.J. Stark
January 2016
Week 3
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Ask of God
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” – James 1:5
When first reading James 1:5 by itself, I found it easy to look at that verse by itself and unconsciously think of it as a promise that God will grant any wish I have…a very dangerous thought!  This verse is one that has to be taken in the context of its passage, because there are some conditions that are vital to it.  Verses 2 and 3 state “2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.”  Count it all joy when you fall into various trials?  What? That’s crazy, I don’t want to looking for more hardship, stress, and challenges! As much as it may sound like that, James is not implying that all.  He is simply saying that when I do encounter life’s challenges, I am to be joyful in knowing that the Lord will work everything out for His glory in my life, even though it may not seem like it at the time.  James continues to in verse 4 “4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”  This is a vital piece for me, as I am not most patient person!  By practicing the patience that God has instilled in me, it will allow the Holy Spirit to complete His work in me from there, so that one day I will “lack nothing” in Christ. 5 “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.”  6 “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.”  So if I am to ask for wisdom (the fear of the Lord – Psalm 111:10), then I must “ask in faith” which according to Hebrews 11:1 “…is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”  True faith in the Lord is powerful; Jesus Himself says so in Matthew 21:21-22 “…Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ it will be done.  22 And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”  Interestingly, both Matthew 21:21 and James 1:6 say to ask without doubting – something against the grain of our fallen nature.  I believe this means that we are to not doubt or limit God’s capabilities to perform what is asked; however, this does not mean that it’s an automatic guarantee that He will do what I ask. James 1:7-8 confirm this, “7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”  Wow, that one cuts deep; I am so often the double-minded man: either doubting that God will do anything about it, or overconfident and assume that He will give what I want.  Fortunately, though, I serve a God of love and compassion, “who gives liberally without reproach” (James 1:5) when I humbly admit that I cannot do it on my own.

Application: Today, when I struggle with a difficult task or situation, I will stop and pray, and ask God for the patience and wisdom to navigate through the trial, and that He would glorify Himself in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment