Saturday, February 13, 2016

Be Content

February 2016
Week 5
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Be Content
“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have.  For He Himself has said, ‘“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”’ – Hebrews 13:5 (NKJV)
“Let your conduct be without covetousness…” That by itself is a heavy topic, and just this section could be talked about for a week-long period!  First the conduct; I will be the first to admit that I don’t usually conduct myself very well in many various occasions.  Fortunately, our God provides the His standard via the apostle Paul, who lays this out very clearly in Ephesians 4:1-3 “I, therefore the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness with long suffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”  It doesn’t get much more clear than that, and as I mentioned before – it’s not an easy load!  But just as James 1:2&4 say, we are to “…count it all joy when we fall into various trials…that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”  My walk with Christ is to be light!!  Now to tackle covetousness…this is a characteristic that has become part of the human nature since the fall of Adam and Eve, and it will continue to plague the us until Christ returns and bestows on us eternal bodies.  With it only being a day after the announcements of the teams and locations for our IGNITE field time, this is definitely a time that I could find myself walking in covetousness – envying others, be it location, teammates, or who knows what!  However, the verse continues and straightens that thought out right away – “be content with such things as you have!!”  And just to clarify, I can assure you I am not in the least bit disappointed in the decisions made – I’m enthralled to see what the Lord will do!  That being said though, what I have right now at this moment is the city of Antigua, Guatemala, and the Lord has placed me here to do His work and give to these people the gift He has given me – eternal life with Him.  Yes, this can be a difficult, and I often am scared of exposing my faith along with being nervous of embarrassing myself while crossing the language barrier.  But God.  That phrase…It always cuts me, because I forget God so easily; it also makes me chuckle at myself as I realize His power and ask – why am I afraid?  Of what am I scared of?  The end of the verse states it plainly, “For He Himself has said, ‘“I will never leave you nor forsake you.”  I will be content in the Lord.  Joshua 1:9 and 1 Chronicles 28:10&20 come to mind where He reinforces this to me; all three verses say “Be Strong” and two of them also affirm that God will “never leave nor forsake” me.  And when it comes to being a witness, I can listen to David’s words to Solomon at the end of 1 Chronicles 28:10 “…be strong, and do it.”  It doesn’t get much more straight forward than that!

Application:  Today, I will set aside some time dedicated to learning and practicing Spanish (reading my notes and books, then ask to practice with Josh and/or Jack) so I’m better prepared the next time the Lord presents an opportunity to witness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment