Saturday, February 13, 2016

Godliness with Contentment

J.J. Stark
February 2016
Week 5
IGNITE Class 10
Inductive Bible Study (IBS)

Godliness with Contentment
6Now godliness with contentment is great gain.  7For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.  8And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.”
– 1 Timothy 6:6-8 (NKJV)

God brought me into this world in my nothings in, and I most certainly can’t take anything with me from this world, except my relationship with God.  The only difference between birth and death is that I have the choice to change where I’m going after death – heaven or hell.  I’m glad I can in boast in Jesus Christ, and that I have made the choice of eternal life.  Eternal life in itself is “great gain,” but it doesn’t just stop there.  I am to strive to attain that “godliness with contentment by being content with where God has me and walking in His way and trusting His provision.  As it’s been said many times throughout this IGNITE training – the Lord doesn’t call the equipped, He equips the called.  He uses situations to tune me to His will.  It happened that as I was writing this IBS, the song Taking My Time, by Charlie Peacock, came on.  The Lord confirmed through this song is exactly what this verse is talking about.  The lyrics go something like this: 
The world is turning, telling me to hurry on, you gotta run to get ahead, and try to take the things you want; but when the sun begins to set, there’s so many things I haven’t done yet
Chorus – Oh but I won’t worry ‘cause there’s no hurry, the world’s not passing me by; because the Lord He knows just where each day goes, and I know He won’t leave me behind.  And I won’t be bringing a single thing that my heart can’t carry inside; ‘cause I’m going Home and I’m only taking my time
The weight of worry is never worth the price of a world of treasures that can never satisfy.  But I know heaven is up ahead, where the best is yet to come
Wow… “and I won’t be bringing a single thing that my heart can’t carry inside…” The things of this world are temporary, not eternal.  I don’t need to be chasing after more than what I need.  The disciples were a perfect example of that. Yes, there were several times they were hungry, but they were being fed by their relationship with the eternal bread of life – Jesus.  If that is the only thing I can carry in my heart from this life, then I better do everything I can to be eating on that Bread!  But Jesus didn’t just feed His disciples, He spread the food out among all that truly sought after Him, also commanding all His disciples to do the same.  If I am to be a disciple, I must eat, then pass it on.

Application: Today, I will talk to two of my class mates about the scripture I read in my devotions, and then ask them how the Lord spoke to them in theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment